Monday 12 January 2015

Nourish Don't Punish

At the beginning of a new year it's easy for us to fall into the trap of creating long lists of unattainable resolutions. These resolutions usually centre around giving something up, doing less of something or generally depriving ourselves in some way. Instead of punishing your body with harsh detoxes or exercise regimes, as is often the case, why not take this opportunity to nourish your whole being with a more gentle approach. Being kind to yourself, I find, is the most effective way to find balance internally and externally. It's not always easy, and when you are wired to automatically berate yourself or blame yourself for anything that goes slightly wrong it may take a bit of time to break old habits. These are some of the ways I am attempting to be kind to myself in 2015:

Yoga

I already have a fairly regular yoga practice, but this month I have taken up a 30-day challenge, attempting to attend 30 classes within the month. To some this may sound punishing and a contradiction to my introduction, however I'm nearly half way through and can confirm I'm feeling amazing. Throughout, I've really come to appreciate a Saturday afternoon fix of Yin yoga as a gentle contrast to the physical demands of my usual Vinyasa Flow classes. Holding poses for anywhere up to 5 minutes, Yin Yoga is challenging for different reasons to other classes - it is a real discipline of stilling the mind as well as working the body. With the opportunity for significant emotional release, a good Yin class has the potential to be a truly magical experience. I'd really recommend it to anyone who struggles to let go. I would suggest trying a Yin class with Yazmin Low or Emma Peel at Yogarise Peckham. You'll leave feeling like you're walking on air.



Writing 

Keeping a journal or at least a notebook full of lists, inspirations, ideas and affirmations is something that has long appealed to me but for some reason I've always felt a bit weird about actually getting on with it. However, with a beautiful blank printed silk journal on my bedside table (it's been sat there for about a year now!) it's time to give it a go. I'm hoping this will be a good way to stay grounded and stop myself from getting lost in flighty daydreams by setting realistic goals that I can mark the progress of.



Slowing down 

Living in London there's a tendency to feel that we have to be busy all the time. Being busy has become a bit of a symbol of success and without a diary full of events, meetings and parties we can somehow feel like we're failing. While I'm not discouraging a full and vibrant social life, spending time with friends and family and getting out of the house, I think it's important to remember to take time out for ourselves each day and to not be scared by this. Really, this encapsulates the above two examples but if yoga or writing aren't your thing then this time could be devoted to anything from taking a long bath to reading a book to simply sitting still for a while and focusing on the breath. By all means go out and dance until 4am but remember to find some balance the next day - that's something I'm working on!




All images taken from Pinterest







No comments:

Post a Comment