Thursday 19 November 2015

Joie Meets: Olivia Crighton, Owner and Creative Director of Glasshouse Salon

I was recently lucky enough to experience a cut and colour with Olivia Crighton, owner and creative director of Hackney's beautiful Glasshouse Salon. Set in Netil House next to London Fields, the salon is a haven away from the nearby bustling Broadway Market on a Saturday afternoon. Olivia prides herself in taking an as natural-as-possible approach to hair care whilst never compromising on style and aesthetics…



What is the story behind Glasshouse salon - how did it come to be?
In my early twenties I began to develop a passion for a more natural and organic lifestyle. I used to suffer from a lot of allergies and skin sensitivities, and began making lifestyle changes which involved using more organic products, from food to make-up. I wanted to incorporate this approach not only into my personal life, but also my work. Traditionally the hairdressing industry has been quite chemical heavy. When I moved to London seven years ago I began working for Organic Colour Systems as their head trainer. I felt like there were preconceptions that natural-based products didn't work as well as their chemical counterparts but actually for me they worked better and leave the hair condition more intact. With that in mind, I wanted to create an environment that utilised these products and also informed clients on the best way to cultivate long-term hair health. The general aesthetic of Glasshouse was also something that was at the front of my mind - I wanted to combine a strong visual identity with an ethical and natural approach, which I felt like other brands hadn't achieved before.

Tell us a little about the products used in the salon, why is it important for you to use organic/ mostly natural products?
It’s important to me because of my own personal desire to look after myself and my body. I’m also a big supporter of animal welfare and considering the environment. We try and uphold this ethos across the salon, from our shampoos to the coffee we serve and the cleaning products we use.
The Organic Colour Systems range is formulated with the highest proportion of certified organic ingredients (their colour ingredients are 95% naturally derived and at the point of use are 60% organic). I think using fewer chemicals is safer for my staff and also creates better results for our clients. We’ve recently expanded our product lines and launched an online shop for a little slice of Glasshouse straight to your door step.
Cult natural make-up brand RMS has probably been the biggest hit in the salon - their products are designed to care for the skin whilst offering a good coverage and range of colours. Amongst others, we also stock East London organic skincare brand, Guy Morgan, Japanese Binchotan activated charcoal products from Morihata, 5-free nail polishes by Kure Bazaar and many more miracle workers…



Do you find it easy to incorporate natural/ organic cosmetics into your everyday regime? What are your favourite products to use?
I try and use organic/natural products as much as possible especially when it comes to my face and hair. I have some long-term favourites and then constant new discoveries which fill up my make-up bag. I use bases by RMS, and love the really pigmented lip shades by Bella Pierre but also adore Ilia. Current new discoveries include a natural deodorant balm by the Natural Deodorant Co which we’ve just started stocking. The idea of a natural deodorant is particularly important to me due to its relation to the lymphatic system, which when clogged can sometimes lead to more serious health problems. It’s great to finally find a product that actually works and smells great too!

How would you recommend clients maintain strong and healthy hair?
There are two main things I would say are crucial for maintaining the hair’s optimum condition. Firstly is prevention and protection. I always suggest avoiding the use of heat and using a good heat-protection product (Organic Colour System’s Thermal 2 Twenty is a powerful, easy-to-use heat protection spray). Hair with a heat-damaged cuticle can be difficult to get back to good condition once it’s felt the effects of heat, therefore I highly recommend minimising the use of hot tools like irons and tongs. Reducing the hair’s contact with potentially harmful chemicals, ammonia is the big one for this - it degrades the natural protein and moisture from the hair which can lead to some of my client’s most regular hair problems - colour fade, tangles and breakage. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and Sodium Laureth Sulphate are both commonly used in shampoos to create a lather, but can dehydrate and degrade condition over time, stripping colour faster and aggravating the scalp for a lot of people. Sodium Chloride (table salt) can also have a similar effect and is found in lots of shampoos as a thickener. All our shampoos are free from these ingredients.
The second step: repair. Hair in good condition is much more manageable and resistant to damage - this is because it’s more resistant to moisture and less porous unlike damaged hair. In the salon, we look at the protein and moisture levels of the hair and prescribe reconstructive treatments accordingly. Chemical or heat-damaged hair is often lacking protein - the Organic Colour Systems Power Build range is high in wheat and quinoa proteins which is formulated to tackle this. For me, hair in good condition is the root of long-term hair health - colour lasts longer, hair grows quicker and it’s so much more manageable. It really is that simple.

Aside from natural beauty products, how do you implement alternative therapies/ holistic living into your everyday regime?
So many ways! Although it’s always a tricky one to try and keep doing from week-to-week. Meditation is important to me, even if it means just taking a break from the day to focus on being mindful for 5-15 minutes. I love the Headspace app - it’s not your stereotypical meditation stuff, it’s much more approachable and has a really simple system that’s easy to follow. Working in a salon can be quite physically demanding, I find gentle yoga very restorative, it also helps relax and stretch my muscles. I get regular acupuncture and also an occasional massage when I’ve had a particularly full-on week. Something I’ve recently started doing is seeing a nutritionist, Danielle Heyhoe, who writes a well-being series for our journal. I’m a great believer in the effects of a balanced diet and seeing Danielle has helped me eat well to target my own individual needs. When I’m feeling emotionally and physically balanced I’m much more productive and able to be the best to my clients and staff.




What have you learned from starting your own business?
So many things! But number one, make sure it’s something you are truly passionate about. Running a business is hard work and you need to be creative and passionate when times get tough. I’m still only three years in and constantly learning all the time from each difficulty and success. And lastly be prepared. Prepared to learn a lot, branch outside of your existing skill set, and to work hard.

What does it mean to you to live a joyful life?
A negative and fearful mindset can be so narrow and restrictive, and I think the key to a truly content life is acceptance and encouraging a positive mindset when and where possible. I’m on a journey towards achieving this- I feel like I haven’t quite reached this outcome just yet. For me it’s been about learning to accept life for what it is and when to surrender to its twists and turns.


Find our more at www.glasshousesalon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment